Crowders Mt - June 50k Run

These days I try to be more flexible with my training. When an opportunity arises, I like to take advantage of it.

The weatherman forecasted that our local weather was going to be awesome today so I called an audible in my training plan. Great weather means a good opportunity to hit the trails for a long run or in my case 31 miles of running.

I had a few local options but settled on Crowders Mt. This would give a good chance to get in some nice climbing. Running the Ridgeline trail is one of my favorites.

The gates to the NC State parks typically open at 8AM so I timed my arrival to coincide as close to possible to 8 AM.

This morning, I turn right on Sparrow Springs Rd and in less than 100 yards, I was greeted with a traffic jam. Apparently, I was not the only one to have this idea. I realize that this was a Saturday but I did not expect so much traffic at 8 AM. Sure enough, the Rangers came down and opened the gate. Slowly, the line of cars filed in to the park.

I was surprised that my favorite parking spot was still open but I was also happy about it.

My plan for the day was to run the Turnback Trail to Ridgeline Trail and follow it to the Kings Recreational Trail where I would turn around. I guessed that this would be about 10 miles. I would run the same course back to the Sparrow Springs parking lot where I would refuel. From there, I would head off to the Crowders Mt. Trail to Backside Trail head up to the stairs, then down to the Linwood access. From it, I would turn the Tower Trail to the top of Crowders Mt. Then, I would do the reverse back to the Sparrow Springs parking lot. Based on my some of my previous runs, I thought that this would be about 31 miles.

 Shortly after 8 AM, I headed out on the Turnback Trail. Climbing up for 2 miles with no warmup is rough. Mostly, I have a lot of hard breathing and burning quads. I passed a few hikers making their way to the top.

About 3/4 of the way to Pinnacle Rock, this guy in a red singlet blow past me. Any other time, my competitive instincts would have kicked in but today, I had 29 plus miles still run. I would leave this challenge for another time. One other thing about Mr. Red Singlet, he disappeared. I ran to Pinnacle Rock before dropping back down to pickup the Ridgeline trail. I never saw him again. Maybe he is still lost on the trail somewhere. I don't know.

Ridgeline was pretty quiet. I saw maybe 10 people the entire time. Most of them were in the Boulder Access area. I touched the Kings Recreational Trail sign, and I headed back. I had 1/3 of my run in the books. My legs felt good. By large I suspect the 60 degree temperature and low humidity had a lot to do with it. Cruising down along the ridgeline, a soft breeze blew in to my face most of the way. I wanted to bottle the moment. 

The return trip seemed to go fast. Before I knew it, I was climbing the "steps" back to the overlook. Finishing off the Ridgeline trail, I turned left and finished off a second climb to Pinnacle before enjoying the 2 mile run back to the parking lot.

Turnback, while not super busy, it definitely had a lot more people on it. Most were standing or setting along side the trail watching this tail skinny guy with a salt and pepper bearded guy run by. I could hear them talking about me before I got out of ear shot.

I refilled my CamelBak with two liters of Tailwind. I tossed some food in the CamelBack pouch and headed off for Crowders Mt. I had burned through 2 liters in the first 20 miles but I now suspect that I would need the entire 2 liters in the next 10ish miles.

My Garmin showed  21+ miles but now, the real fun was about to begin. I still had the worst of the climbing ahead of me.

Crowders Mt. trail was busier than I expected or wanted. I think I said "pardon me" a few hundred times.

I could also tell that the day was getting warmer. The climbing made it worse. Sweat was running off my brow.

Popping out on Backside trail, I turned right and ran up to the "steps". While it is only a few hundred  yards to the "steps", it is also steep. My legs begrudgingly carried me.

I took solest in fact that with every step, I was a step closer to being finished.

Then, I ran down to the Linwood parking lot. I knew the climb up the Tower trail was going to be painful and sweaty. I felt that I was grinding my way to the top. The trail really kicks up right before Rock Top. Then,I run right and headed on to the top of Crowders. With each step, I wished that I was finished.

The view from the top was much better this time. Two weeks ago, I could only see rain clouds. Today, I could see for a 100 miles or more.

I rather enjoyed the run back to the Linwood parking lot. My legs wanted it. No, they needed it.

Before heading down the Crowders trail, I finished my last hard climb up to the "steps" on Backside trail. Now, I was ready to start my decent back to the Sparrow Springs parking lot.

When I reached my car, I opened the trunk and set down. I will freely admit; I was tired. I had been running for just over 6 hours and did a lot of climbing today.

Now, I have to let my body recover for the next  five days. LOL.


The Cool Down Runner




Comments

Popular Posts