Training Blocks


If you have been following my posts lately, you are probably questioning the amount of race miles that I have been piling on my legs lately, and you would be right.

In the last 14 days from the Stevest 42 miler through my Crowders Ridgeline Ruckus 25K yesterday, I have been more active on the racing scene than I have been all year.

Stevest-ish is more like 43 mile started my efforts. Seven days later, the Riverman Brewery 50k didn’t give my legs any recovery. Five days later, I was running hard and sweating even harder at the Whitewater Center River Jam 10k on Thursday night. I finished my gantlet of racing with the Ridgeline Rucket 25K which pushed my quads and lungs to their max while climbing up and down from Pinnacle Rock twice. That’s like 95+ miles of racing.

I expected it to be hard, but somehow I think it exceeded my expectations. By the time that I ran the River Jam 10k, I had no bounce in my legs. Saturday at the Ridgeline Ruckus, I needed the tough course to equalize the abilities of the other runners because I only had one speed. It was low gear.

On the other hand, this was one of my best training blocks this year. I was getting what I think were quality miles. I would likely have not run that far or that fast on a solo training run. These races pushed me to dig a little deeper, and find that strength that I will need later this year. These races also made me focus more on my recovery, hydration, and nutrition. I have often marvel at Michael Wardian’s ability race, recover, and race again. He clearly has his body figured out. I am still figuring my body even after all these years of running.  

I have two more training blocks to complete before I start my taper in to my 100 miler in November. Wow, November seems so far away at this time but in reality, it is just 3 months away. Those 3 months are going to go by so fast. Before I know it, I am going to be standing at the starting line of my 100 miler, and wondering what I was thinking when I signed up for this. This thought is going to be closely followed by, I hope my training pays off.

Trail Dust Tails.

The Cool Down Runner




Comments

Popular Posts