Crowders’ Ridgeline Ruckus 25K Trail Race Recap


Pulling in to the Boulder Access parking lot of Crowders’ Mt State, I had just under an hour to get ready to run the Ridgeline Ruckus 25K. Normally, I like to arrive early so I can relax and get ready. However, this race was being held in a state park which didn’t open its gates until 7 AM. Everyone was in a bit of a rush to get ready.

We started from the grassy field next to the welcoming center. We ran around the building and up the concrete walkway to the trail. I settled in to the back pack and let the other runners surge head. We followed the access trail down to the Ridgeline trail. As we were running, I was already imagining what a bear this was going to be climbing back out at the end of the race.

The runners were stringing out in front of me. This section of course is pretty much a bunch of rollers, and while it has plenty of rocks and roots, it plenty wide for passing.

I wasn’t making a huge effort to surge forward. I was focused on the letting the course bring them back to me. All I wanted to do was just maintain a nice, steady pace whether I was running uphill, downhill, or on the flat. Although, there are not too many flats on this course.

Once the climbing started, I started moving up.

The stair section was just as I remembered. I caught up to one runner as we were nearing the top of the stairs. He was a much better descender. He quickly opened up 50 yards on me on the far side.

Crowders’ maintenance crew has made some changes to the trails, and they are now bring people in to the Turn Back Trail in a different spot.  They are also cleaned up the Turn Back Trail making it like a sky slope. If I had wanted, I would literally have sprinted down it. But there was no way that I was going to this. My quads would have been wasted.

I caught one guy on the decent, and I caught a 2nd runner at turn around at the main Crowders’ Mt. Parking lot. At this point, the climbing was starting to be an effort.

Turn Back Trail is tough climb, and on the return trip, we had to run all the way to the top Pinnacle Rock. This further was up the slope, and the further that I went, the steeper it got. My quads were truly burning when I hit their check point at the top. 

From there, I knew the path back to the finish. I had to really focus hard on the trail. My legs were tiring so I knew full well that I was one misstep away from a fall.

I passed back by the mid-way aid station. The sun had for the most part remained hidden, but it was still warm and humid. I kept sipping on my Tailwind from my CamelBak.

I was disappointed to loss my new buff. I had tied it to my CamelBak shoulder strap, but somewhere in the first couple of miles, I had lost it. I looked for it on the return trip, but I am guessing that someone took home a nice prize from the race. Luckily, I never needed it.

I think that I finished 3rd overall, and 2nd male. I didn’t get the entire story but from what I gathered, she was runner from Colorado. Like I said, I didn’t get the entire story. All I know is, both she and the top male runner ran the course like they were part Mt. goats.

I was happy with my time. I ran 2:31:45. It was a solid effort on a hot and humid day.

I also want to give a shout out to the designer of their awards. They have some nice wood burn plaques. I really liked it. It will have a nice place on my wall.

That’s it for this race. Time to get some rest and recover for what’s coming up next.

Tails from the Trail

The Cool Down Runner  


Comments

Popular Posts