Tailwind


Ok, the obvious thought that comes to mind when I hear the word “tailwind” is a nice breeze pushing me down the trail. However, this is not the right type of “tailwind”. No, in this case, I am talking about the “Tailwind” used by athletes during exercise.

My past experiences with Tailwind have not been good. I never liked the taste or the consistency. However, I do have to admit one thing. I was always trying Tailwind that someone else prepared. After hearing about Justin’s experiences last weekend, I decided to give it another try, but this time, I would make up my own blend.

Friday, I followed the directions for making up a blend of Tailwind. Basically, 2-3 cups (cup comes with the bag of Tailwind) goes into 24 ounces of water. For my first test, I decided to use just 2 cups per 24 oz.

After spending a few minutes stirring, I tasted it. It was okay. Orange-Mango taste was not overwhelming. Honestly, I would have liked the flavor to be a bit stronger. At least, I didn’t get it to thick.

Today, I went 22 miles in 91 degree heat while drinking Tailwind. The run went fine. Interesting part, with each drink on the first sip hitting my tongue, the taste reminded me of an artificial sweetener. The taste quickly fades as I continued sipping.

I am looking at using Tailwind over Nunn in some situations because I want feel like my body takes in liquid calories easier than taking in solid foods. No, I am not swearing off solid foods. I just want options, and the only way to figure these things out is real time experimentation.

My testing will continue so stay tune for more posts.

Tails from the trail

The Cool Down Runner



Comments

Popular Posts