Summer Track WK #5 – Championship Week


The Summer Track Series wrapped up its final week. With both all comers and championships events being held, runners walked always with another year of great memories and a few walked away with some nice medals.

Highlighting the evening, Caroline Yarbrough lighten Tim’s pocket by $100 dollars. She won the Women’s Championship mile with a time of 5 minutes and 10 seconds. I got a chance to chat with her after the meet. She is a recent graduate from Davidson College and will soon be heading off to New York to start a new job. I am sure the $100 will come handy with her move. New York is not known as a cheap city.

Over the last several weeks, I saw runners of all ages make circles around Myers Park track. I saw runners walk away from their events “pumped” at their efforts. I saw a runner which we needed us to call the EMTs to help. I saw runner giving his all only to pull a hamstring. I saw young kids asking if they could borrow a baton to practice for the 4 x 100. I saw kids running the 50 and 100 meter who don’t yet understand the concept of staying in their lanes.

Best of all, there was this one little boy who was maybe 3 years old. He had just finished running the 50 meters. I handed him his ribbon for finishing. He looks up at me, and in the softest voice says “thank you”. Then, he reaches out and hugs my leg.

I had no words. He had just melted my heart. He had just made my day.

Tails from the Trail

The Cool Down Runner  

Comments

Popular Posts