Stumpy Pond Trail ½ Marathon Recap 5/11/19


Today, I headed down to the Ann Springs Greenway for the Stumpy Pond Trail ½ marathon. I have not run on the Ann Spring Greenway in years. Add to it, I have never run on some of the sections of this race so I was going to be doing some new exploring.

Running was going to be rough for this race. The temperature was in the mid 70s but making life miserable for all of us runners was the humidity. It was absolutely awful.

The course was marked pretty well. There a few long sections where I could have used some confidence markers. However, after the race I was talking with one of the guys that marked the course. He told me that they didn’t believe in confidence markers. I understood him but just because he didn’t believe in them that doesn’t mean that they would be nice to have for the runners. After all, in those long sections with no markings, I am left question if I missed something along the way.

We had a long leadout in to the trails so the runners well strung out as we entered. I settled in to a comfortable pace and worked the trail. There were no real long climbs but boy does it roll. In some sections, I felt like a yo-yo.

I was churning along through about 7 miles when we finally turned to head back to the finish. This section of the trail had no wind blowing, and I was starting to overheat badly.

Those final miles were a struggle.

I finished in 1:51:41, placing 6 OA, and 1st MM. I hadn’t won a MM in several years, and I was pleasantly surprised to win it.

I was glad that I did this race. I spend a lot of time running on the WWC trails. Getting the chance to run some different trails is always nice. I would venture down there again for another run.

Overall, most of the trails were very runnable. There were only a few sections where they got technical, and I had to really watch my footing.

Tails from the Trail

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts