Solo 50k


A few months ago, I started planning my summer schedule, and I wanted to do a 50k each month fromMay through September. When I could not find a race that lined up with my schedule, I decided that I would just make up my own run.

Saturday at 8 AM, I headed off on my 50k run. I decided to use the WWC 50k course since it makes a nice 10ish mile loop. I can then resupply my Camelbak after each lap.

Of course, when I started planning this adventure run, I didn’t plan on it being a 50k run on the first 90 degree day of ’19.

I went through nearly a gallon and ½ of Nunn plus a copious amount of snacks along the way.

Even with the warm start to the morning, the breeze made my first lap feel good. On the second lap, things definitely warmed up. I had thoughts of quitting. But I couldn’t. I wanted to push through it. I needed to push through it.

I made a point of drinking every half mile. I took it easy and just worked each mile, and I tried to not think about it.

Somewhere around with 3 to 4 miles left, the realization finally started to set in that my legs were going to carry me to the finish. They were tired, but they did what I asked them to do. This was my longest run of ’19 so far.

Most importantly, I checked off the first of my 50k or more runs of this summer. This run definitely put some confidence in my memory bank. I have bigger plans for later in the fall, and this is just the first step in making those plans come true.

Tails from the Trail

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts