Wicked Root 10 Miler Recap


For the last couple of years, I headed down interstate 85 to Kings Mt for their Gateway Trail 10 miler. However, this year, I was went looking for something a little more trail and a little less greenway. Through my Ultra Signup searches, I stumbled over the Wicked Root 50k and 10 miler this weekend. I had made a mental note of this race a few years ago when Spada ran and won the 50k

This race was like a blind date for me. Having never ran these trails, I was could be in for some thing awesome or totally nasty.

I pretty much knew going in to this race that it would be muddy mess. To that end, I was sporting some new trail racing shoes, but I save my thought about them for a post next week.

At 7:50 we were given our prerace instructions. Honestly, there were a lot of words spoken but what I heard was that the trail was marked in orange ribbon. I hoped this was true.

The start was a low key roll out. The lady next to me ask me if I had run the course. I replied that this was my first time here.

I eased in to the pace and the trails. I wanted to feel out what the footing was like. I also wanted to get a sense of what the course was like.

The course is riddled with switch backs and crossing of paths. Without the orange ribbons and signs, I would have been hopelessly lost. There is one section of the trail called Deja Vu and for good reason. It loops back upon itself twice before splitting off to run the rest of the Spencer Mt. trail. Thanks to a another runner that was making his way through for pointing me in the right direction.

While the course wet, my trail shoes stuck well. The one place where I did slip was coming off one of the bridges. The wet, muddy lugs don't have much traction on the wooden bridges.

I finished up the up course in 1 hours 26 minutes and 42 seconds for the win. For my efforts, I am now the proud owner of Huskie dog stuffed animal. I am going to name him “Clyde”. He and I might be making appearances at other races now.

Major props to the race director for an awesome job marking the course and for the post race food spread. Even bigger thanks to the volunteers manning the aid stations, and to Tin specifically for the photo and for pointing me in the right direction around the soccer fields.

With one of these Wicked Root races under my belt and a better understanding of the course, I might venture back to another of their races.

Adventures from the trail,

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts