CamelBak Hydration Vest vs. Nathan Handhelds


There are two ways learn either through my own trial and error or by watching others. I was looking around at the start of the marathon on Saturday, and I saw a pretty even mix between runners using a hydration vest and runners using hand held bottles.

Numerous races I have used the hand held bottles, but last year when I got into doing some seriously long runs, the hand held bottles just didn’t cut it. Since then, I have found that I prefer the hydration vest to the bottles. Mostly because, I like to have my hands free. Plus, I think having the water on your back creates a better center gravity for running on a trail. Where I am constantly readjusting my balance. Throw in that with most vests, they have a pocket which I can stuff in some food to enjoy on the run.

Like myself, I think for most people it is a manner of personal choice.  Which feels the most comfortable when you are going to be away for hours at time.

One benefit the vest, I can exchange one vest for another and keep going. This is what I did on Saturday. I had already pulled off my vest, I then opened my cooler, I pulled out my loaded vest, I dropped in the old one, I closed the lid, and I was off running. No fuss. My water and snacks were ready to go. No fumbling to load anything up during race. This reduces things that I have to figure out when I am tired, and things that I can screw up or leave behind during the race.

This is all free advice, and along with, I suggest testing out your ideas during your training runs. 
There will always be little “gotchas” along the way.

Tails from the Trail

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts