Washington's Farewell Speech

While I found my passion in writing software, I have always had a passing interesting in history. The adage "we either learn from history or we are doomed to repeat it" has always stuck with me. During my college life, I took more than few history courses. And through the years, I have found myself drawn to history documentaries.

When my daughter went through school, we never talked much about history. She would tell me about her classes, and how she was doing but we never got into philosophical discussions.

Once she entered college, history became a topic of interest to her. So much so that one of her two minors will be in history.

Her interest in history paired with my passing interest in history has formed a connection between us that I never expected. Now, when she has a history assignment, she often shares her assignment with me. I'll read the same passages, and we talk about the passages and her assignment. I guess that I give her a sounding board. I don't know if helps or not. I hope so. Personally, I have found my self looking forward to each new assignment that she is given. 

Just this last week, we read George Washington's Farewell Speech. As I set here still digesting his words, I cannot help but reflect how much of his warnings still ring true today. Two hundred plus years later, America continues to face those same challenges. This takes me back to the adage that I started this post with. Are we really learning from history or are we just in an endless cycle doomed to a world that Washington warned us about.

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts