Preparation Time


If you saw me running lately, you might have noticed that the extra layers of clothes. It was way more than really needed given the mild temperatures outside. Yes, this can seem a bit extreme, but it is all part of my preparation madness.

Every year, January and February are cold here in the Carolinas. They are great months for running. Then, March arrives and so does marathon season in the Carolinas.

So what the problem?

Well, the problem is heat. Suddenly, our temperatures swing from 30 degrees to 50 and 60 degrees in the morning. Still, these are not bad for an easy run, but for a marathon, they can feel downright steamy.

So enter my madness of overdressing for my runs. Take my long run last Sunday for instance. I was wearing tights and 3 shirts. When I was running with the wind at my back, I was soaked. When I turned into the wind, I was chilled to the bone until it dried.

Will this totally prepare me for a hot marathon? No, not even close, but it will at least prepare me better than doing nothing at all.

It is also the small things that you either learn or are reminded of that make the difference.

Running well means being prepared.

 

The Cool Down Runner

 

Comments

Popular Posts