Hamstring Recovery – Tip

Ok, I have been scouring the internet looking for any information that I might find useful during my hamstring recovery. Recently, I stumbled across something that seemed contrary to my way of thinking.

They suggested using lightest running shoe possible during your recovery. I would have thought that wearing a heavier shoe would be better. The extra cushioning would soften the pounding. Right? At least to my way of thinking it should.

Being open minded and needing help I read on.

Using a lighter shoe means less force i.e. strain on the hamstring is needed to slow and eventually halt the lower leg as it swings forward with each stride.  In a way if you think about it, it makes sense. Swing a 10 pound hammer and try suddenly stopping it. Then, swing a 2 pound and try bringing it to a sudden stop. Yes, there is definitely more force needed so the principle would be essentially the same for my leg. Wearing a lighter shoe means stress on my already weary hamstring as it tries to halt the forward motion of my lower leg and foot.

For the last week, I have been putting this suggestion in to practice. Honestly, I do seem to notice a difference.  My hamstring doesn’t wear down as quickly. That’s a positive in my book, and I need all of the positives that I can get these days.

 

Suggestion of the day,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts