Nothing like a tail wind.

Sorry, but I have been busy. It is the holiday season, and I found that my time is monopolized by so many good things to do. Thus, I don’t have much time to set down and write.

But I am back to day and talking about the benefits of a tail wind.

Anyone that has done much running realizes how much better life is running with the wind at you back rather than in your face.

This effect was brought home to me during my last two tempo runs. Tuesday a week ago, I headed out for my 14 mile tempo run and during the first 7 miles I faced a stiff head wind. When I turned around, the effort seemed the same but low and behold; I was running 15 to 20 seconds faster per mile. Man, did this make me feel good.

Fast forward to my run this Tuesday, the wind was blowing just as hard but it was blowing in the opposite direction.

I was “killing” those first 7 miles. The thoughts resonated through my head that this was going to be an awesome run. Then, I made the turn. Suddenly, all those feel good miles turned into push harder and just hold on.

I sought shelter from the wind at every corner that I could find.

But true to form, my splits were off by 15 to 20 seconds per mile.

Overall, I was still 30 seconds faster or 2 seconds faster per mile.

Having experienced the benefits of a tail during the first 7 miles and the last 7 miles of my tempo, I have to say that I much prefer it during the second half of the workout.

Getting just the little nudge from the wind helps keep my body moving and help my fight off the effects of fatigue and lactic acid build up.

Well, this a wrap on this one,

Happy Holidays,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts