Riding the bike and more


On Wednesday evening, I headed over for the TrySports group ride.  The skies had been threatening all day but I was holding out hope that we would make it this week.

Our ride was pretty uneventful. There were a few spots where the road was wet from the passing showers, but we remained dry for the entire ride.

My first couple of rides, I had hung toward the end of the group. I really didn’t want to get in anyone’s way. This week, I made myself get a spot up near the front.

When I ride near the back of the pack, I have always thought it to be so much harder. When the group surges or a gap opens, being in the back I am near the last to respond. Then, I have to work twice as hard to regain contact. Riding near the front, the surges are much quicker to see and gaps don’t open as often. To this runner’s mind set, I am not making all of these micro surges during my ride. Therefore, I feel like the ride is easier.

I did struggle a few places during the ride, but luckily for me, we had some stop lights that helped with the regrouping.

That’s pretty much it for the ride. However, there was one other interesting topic that I share with everyone.

Arriving a few minutes early, I was hanging out with Robbe and some of the other store employees. We were just killing time talking about whatever came to mind: The Tour, local races, training, etc.

As we were talking, this young man walked into the store. He couldn’t have been more than 12 or 13 years old. What immediately caught my and everyone else’s attention was this race car driving suit. Politely, he asked to speak to the store manager i.e. Robbe.

He then handed Robbe a flyer and went into his sponsorship pitch. He drives go-karts and is running for a championship. He has been competing at several area races tracks and but wants to expand it.

What impressed me most was his demeanor. When I was 12 or 13, I am not sure that I would have had the confidence to make the same kind of sale's pitch. For that matter, I don’t know if I would have even tried it.

Robbe asked him a number of questions and he gave Robbe some good answers.

I hear too many people describe what’s wrong with the youth of America today, but then, a kid like this comes along. This reminds me that people focus on the negative far too often. I am not saying this is wrong, but what I am trying to say is that we should spend at least equal time talking about the positive contributions our children make as well.

The next time your son or daughter does some good, let them know. Those few words of praise can be far more effective than a thousand words of criticism.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts