CPR Certified

We all go through life while enjoying our daily runs. Most of us don't realize that running puts a huge amount of stress on our hearts. This stress combined with the rest of life's struggles, and heart attacks happen for more often than any of us would care to admit.

Then, there were the recent events in Boston which let us know just how fragile life really is.

With a little nudge from one of my fellow board members and I was started down the path of organizing CRC's first CPR training initiative. We had several members take part in the online course and then attend one of the two practical training sessions. I attended the session last night and received my CPR certification.

I had the distinct honor of going last so everyone was watching me. I followed all of the procedures and I went through the entire 2 minutes or 5 sets of the 30/2 cycles which is how CPR training goes now. I am not sure why I was so nervous, but I was. I guess with everyone watching, and being the one organizing it, screwing up wasn't an option for me.

My last CPR training was in college so it has been a while. Last night's session reminded me of a couple of things. Even thou, I was to do 5 sets of CPR and then check for breathing. I found myself losing count of the number of sets. I was concentrating so hard on 30/2 cycles that I wasn't sure if I was on the 4th or 5th set. The other thing was the effort needed to perform CPR. CPR doesn't look like it would require much, but after a full two minutes, I was sweating and this was inside not outside in the heat and humidity.

I would like to thank Tony Benz for his help in organizing our course. Tony works for "Select Physical Therapy" and provides training for many groups. To contact Tony, his email is tmbenz@selectmedical.com and his phone number is 704.564.6381.

Our online CPR course was handled via the Red Cross which offers many training session options. Check them out to get CPR certified.

Remember, with just a hours of time and training a life can be saved. This is a rewarding investment unlike any 401k option out there.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runne


 


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts