Nearly all of the hay is in the barn

This is an expression that I have heard used many times by marathoners through the years. They wind down their training plans and start their tapering for their chosen marathon. I guess this expression is derived from when a farmer had finished cutting hay in the fields and stored it in the barn for the winter. With his work now done, he is ready for a rest period.

When I think about it, the metaphor does make sense for runners.

For months, I have been working hard getting by body into shape, running many long runs, pushing myself harder with intervals, lifting weights to strengthen my muscles, and using setups and plank to strengthen my core. This work is done; I can now rest and use these reserves that I have built up on race day.

This is definitely a good expression to remember.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts