3 sets of 3, 2, 1

The general rule of thumb is 1 day of recovery for every mile that I race. Where running is concerned, I tend bend more rules that I follow. This pretty much explains why yesterday morning, I was trying to kick start my legs with some speed work.

My legs still felt the heaviness but they went along with the effort.

After 5+ miles of warm up, I started through a descending set of 3, 2, and 1 minute intervals 3 times. Each was followed by a 1 minute recovery. Believe when I say, one minute goes by fast. The sluggishness seemed to wear off by the second set and the third set felt the best.

The distances covered during the time periods were not overly impressive since I had opted for my heavy trainers and was running this workout on dirt instead of the track. The workout did allow me to cover 3+ miles of up tempo work and start to get the rust shaken off.

My marathon cycles have been backing up to one another and never giving me the opportunity to run really good speed work. This time around, I want to give a try. The next several weeks as my legs feel better; I plan to focus on a lot more really short intervals. I want to see just how much I can get out of my legs.


 

Sharing one though at time,

The Cool Down Runner


 


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts