8 mile solo tempo

My stressor workouts are winding down quickly before my upcoming marathon. This morning, I was out in the rain for an 8 mile tempo run. Usually for my runs like this one I am slow getting out of the gate. Truth be told, I think it has something to do with me getting older. I seem to take longer to do everything.

However, this morning I was all over it from the first step of my warm up. I never felt particular fast or that I was working particular hard during the workout. The miles just seemed to stream by quickly.

Before I knew it, my tempo was over, and I was warming down back to my house.

This morning, I was wearing my heart monitor – just as a sanity check. I don't wear it daily, but I try to wear it more during my workouts. I use it to spot key indicators like my heart rate getting unusually high or taking unusually long to recovery. These can be signs that I am getting close to over training. This also raises a flag for me to take a couple of easy days. Sometimes I forget that I need extra time to let my body bounce back from hard efforts.

I have only two more stressors workouts this week. Friday, I will be doing a set of 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 minute intervals. I will follow this with a Saturday long run of 16 miles. Once my Sunday run is complete, I will have approximately 76 mile total for the week. This is my typical weekly mileage two weeks out from a marathon.

Best thing for me to remember, sleep and rest are my too biggest allies over the next week and half.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner.


 


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts