When to DNF?

After this weekend's race, the topic of "DNF" reared its ugly head for some runners. A "DNF" means that a runner "Did not finish". There is any number of reasons for having a "DNF" in a race and to be honest, they are all valid for the runner who is not able to finish.

But my question is "how do you know when enough is enough?" vs. pushing through the difficult times to reach the finish.

Personally, I find this is a hard question to get my hands around.

But I do have some personal experiences at both ends of the spectrum.

Throughout the many years that I have raced, I only "DNF" one race. This was a ½ marathon and I was sick going into the race. If I remember right, I had a temperature of something like 102 and felt awful. A normal person would have never even started the race. But runners are not normal. About 8 miles into the race, I just totally came unglued. Nothing was working and I started walking. I could have probably walked the last 5 miles, but I was figuratively and literally done. I took a short cut to the finish area. I got into my car and drove home – never more dejected in my life.

But the drive wasn't for not. By the time, I pulled into my driveway; I had made myself a promise. I would return again. I would not let any course defeat me. Several years later, I did return and put right the distaste from that day.

On the other end of the spectrum, I endured the affects Hatfield and McCoy Marathon this year. This was a perfect storm for a runner – hilly, hot, humid, and 26.2 miles. By 10 miles, I knew I had been running too hard. By the ½ point, I was struggling. The last half of the marathon there was a lot of hot intense sunshine which made me feel like I was on the inside of a pressure cooker.

My body was limping along. For all practical purposes, I should have ended my efforts and took a ride back to the finish.

Why I pushed on; I don't know. Maybe it was because this was a point to point course and I still had to get back to the finish. Maybe I was just so out of it that I didn't realize that I needed to stop.

Only after an IV and 2 bags of solution after finishing did I really snap out of it.

Talking about this topic takes me back to the video of Julie Moss in the 1982 Ironman. Coming to the finish in the lead, she is extremely fatigued and dehydrated. She stumbles, falls, gets up staggers, and crawls to get to the finish. She is passed by Kathleen McCartney for the win in the last few yards.

She could have just as easily given up to the dreaded "DNF", but her mental tenacity overcame her body's willingness stop.

So when should a runner "DNF"?

The best answer is there are lots of answers and no answers.

When I step the starting line, I expect, no, I know there will be some level of discomfort from racing. How much discomfort am I willing ignore before giving in to the pain is the true question? And, it is a question that each athlete must answer for themselves.


 


 

Thought from the Cool Down Runner


 

 

Comments

Popular Posts