Changing things up a bit

With the temperatures pushing into the upper 90s, somehow it doesn't seem like time to again ramp up for a fall marathon but it is. But before I can jump into the training, my marathon plan needs to be made. But even before the plan can be made, a little introspection can be most helpful.

By introspection, I look at all aspects of my training and make the changes that I think will help me improve.

Too often, I feel like I fall into a rut. Day in day out, my body has performed the same routine so often that each tasks often become rote memory. When I find these things happening, changing things up is often the key to get my body rolling again.

So what I am changing up this time? There are two things: core work and resistance training.

My typical week follows doing small session core work and resistance training 5 days per week with 2 days off.

For the next round of training, I am shifting these around. My plan is to do longer sessions of core and resistance training, but split them up on different days. Right now, the plan is to do 3 days of core work per day with multiple sets. Then, do the resistance training 2 days per with multiple sets. I'd like to get these sessions to occur at the "Y" so I can do a lot machine work for both upper and lower body. Especially, I would like work my hamstring to make them stronger so during the last miles of my marathon, they still have some snap in them.


 

Keep reading throughout the fall to see how it progresses.


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts