Summer Track Wk3 Recap 6.14.11

Thanks to Scott GreenApple for this photo

There is an expression "Where the rubber meets the road, things happen". Last night I had grand visions of running all 3 mile heats and doing the 5k. That didn't exactly happen.

My legs especially my quads and hamstrings are still pretty sore from the Hatfield & McCoy marathon. And at some point, one has to be honest with one's self. Do I really need to do this?

Rolling up just before 6pm I picked up my number and unloaded my stuff on the infield grass. Then, after making the rounds to catch up with a few people, I headed out for a few warm up miles.

Arriving back at the track, I heard Tim announce that the 5:30 and under mile was going off at 6:40 which was going to be followed by 6 to 5:30 pace at 6:50, and last one was the 6 and over at 7.

I did some long 100 meter strides on the grass and headed for the start of the mile.

This was going to be rough and I knew it even before I took the first step. My quads complained when I pushed off and my hamstrings complained when I was tightening it up. I could feel a nice "knot" developing in my right hamstring. My breathing was extremely labored and I just never felt in control. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th laps were not any better. 78, 81, 83, and 81 were my splits for a 5:25 open mile.

Crossing the finish line, there was a lot of doubt about going any further. Should I even do a 2nd mile? Okay, I would at least try it? 83, 83, 85, and 82 were the splits for a 5:35 mile. Stan was trying to entice me back for the 3rd mile but at the last minute, I stepped off the track. The other adage "live to fight another day" was ringing through the back of my mind. The 3rd mile went off and I watched them go. I wanted to be out there running, but if I did, I would only stress a badly strained hamstring even further.

Instead, I changed back to my trainers and headed off to the dirt section behind the high school for a couple of easy miles.

I missed out on my plan and thought about just leaving the track but I decided against it. Last night was also the 5k time trial and there was a lot people that I knew running it. If I couldn't run myself, I could at least support their efforts. Tim and Tom didn't have anyone calling splits so I pulled out my Garmin. The least that I could do is call out splits. For the next 30 minutes I yelled out splits and cheered everyone to run hard.

Paul and Jay were digging hard. Chad was running well considering that he did all 3 heats of the mile and I don't know what else. Borianna and Danielle were making good time as well. Then there was Alex, Allen, Paul, Stan and darn it, a bunch of others.

I also want to give a shout out to Stan. He comes up to me after the open mile and says "I think this is the first time that I ever beat you". You know, I think he is right. I cannot even use the excuse that I ran a marathon on Saturday because Stan ran a trail race which was even longer. I have a ton of respect for Stan. Considering the number of miles that he runs verses his ability to just keep coming back and running either a short race like a mile or 5k, followed by 28 mile trail race, and to close it out a few days later with a fast mile is simply amazing (not one, not two, but all 3 mile heats plus the 5k). I wish I knew his secret. You are the "man" Stan.


For anyone expecting some video, there isn't any this week. My camera and sunglasses remained at home on the shelf this week, but more than likely both will be out there next week. And, remember to smile when you see me.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts