Carolina Cycling Time Trial: Event 3 Recap 6.8.11

Rolling into Charlotte Motor Speedway last night, the track was hot. To be more specific the air temperature was hot but the track temperature was even hotter. The sun burns when it hits your skin, but the asphalt doesn't really burn but it just radiates the heat back up and into everyone. Imagine sticking your head into an oven with lots of humidity. This has to be how it feels to me.

Now, that you have a feeling for how hot it was, you should also know that I like it hot. To be more specific, I like it hot when I am cycling. Believe me, I wish I could explain it, but some reason I just feel better. Now, I wish it worked the same way when I am running, it doesn't. Except this is another story.

But back to my recap, picked up my number and started circulating the grounds. When first started riding at CMS, I didn't know anyone. Now, I walk around and find plenty of people that I know. It is like having two circles of friends – one that runs and one that cycle.

And, there is possible a third group. Since I have been doing some Multi Sport events, I am seeing some of those faces at CMS. During my warm up in the infield, Wes came up by side me. He and I have been going back and forth in the Duathlons lately. I lead during the first run, the he catches me during the bike, and then I try to catch him during the run again. Sometimes, it works and some time it doesn't. Let's just say Wes is fast on the bike.

My starting time was a little after 7 so as soon as they allowed the yellow bib number to roll out, I was headed toward the track.

Lining up 3rd in line, I made some final adjustments and pulled in to the starting slot.

Got my 15 second count down and I was off.

Normally, I try to churn in the biggest gear because this one would think would give the most speed. However, this is not always true. Last night, I stayed in the easier rings and just spun my legs off. By 5 miles, I was ahead of my previous best times this year and knew I just needed to hold it together for 5 more miles.

So resisting the urge, I continued to churn away until I got to mile 9.

Coming down the back stretch I shifted down to the smallest ring and starting digging in.

As you can see from the chart below, I maxed out at 30 mph and rode the entire last mile at an average of 27.5 mph. I would have to do some research but that has to be one of my fast last mile splits at the speedway ever.

The total elapse time was 23:58 which was 11 seconds slower than my best time ever at the speedway.

I finished with a few cool down miles on the infield, then packed up and headed home.

I was pleased with the effort. Although, I tell people that my bike is better than rider setting atop it. But I hope one day to be equal to it or at least close to equal to it.

Below are my splits and a break down from my Garmin for those interested


 


 

Split

Hour:Minute:Second Time

Miles Distance

Miles per Hour Avg Speed

1

00:02:35

1.00

23.2

2

00:02:29

1.00

24.1

3

00:02:21

1.00

25.5

4

00:02:17

1.00

26.2

5

00:02:24

1.00

24.9

6

00:02:26

1.00

24.6

7

00:02:18

1.00

25.9

8

00:02:25

1.00

24.8

9

00:02:25

1.00

24.7

10

00:02:10

1.00

27.5

11

00:00:03

0.02

25.4

Summary

00:23:58

10.02

25.1

Comments

Popular Posts