Sunday, June 12, 2011

2 IV bags later the lights come on

Many of you may have read race recap but I thought I needed to elaborate on the whole hydration and IV portion better. Going into this marathon, I knew it was going be hot and muggy. I knew that I needed to adapt to the heat beforehand as much as possible. Charlotte only turned hot in the last couple of weeks and I tried my best to do a few of my runs in the heat. I hoped the adaptation would come quickly.

Also knowing that hydration would be "key" to a successful race, my plan was drink regularly throughout the race which I did.

The Hatfield and McCoy's Marathon offered water and PowerAde at every mile. I drank water at every other mile until 18 miles. From 18 miles onward, I drank water at every mile. I drank PowerAde every 5 miles throughout the race.

Not once during the race did I really feel thirsty nor did I get that slushy feeling in my stomach that typically comes when you are drinking a lot.

From perspiration perspective, I was totally soaked. Both my singlet and shorts were soaked by 5 miles. I was wiping the sweat off my face.

I knew at the half way point that I really felt bad.

My miles were really starting to slow.

When I crossed the finish line, I asked the lady to take me some place where I could set down. They laid me on a cot and started putting cold towels on my head, neck, and legs. They also started loading me up on water and PowerAde.

30 minutes after the race my legs were cramping. First, the calves would camp and then the shins. I cannot begin to tell you how much it hurt. I have experienced cramp in my legs before, but I never experienced anything to this degree and I hope that I never do again.

After about an hour or so, I was feeling slightly better. At least I was feeling well enough to try to walk to the restroom. I wanted to get out my running clothes. But honestly, I really felt tired and sluggish.

The two nurses that had been helping me told me that I could go but that they wanted to send someone with me.

So we started across the street and into a restaurant. I made it inside the door when I suddenly felt like I needed to set down. From there, I put my head down on the floor and said that I don't think I can go any further.

He went to get help and both nurses plus two other guys came back. They told me that they were going to move me back the cot.

We started out the door. The two guys had my arms around their necks. I remember starting out the door and then, I just relaxed and closed my eyes. The next thing that I knew they were laying my on the cot. I was out of it. Betty, one of the nurses, was offering me water and I said "I can't". I felt like I was going to throw up and she told me to go ahead. Less than 30 seconds later, a combination of water and PowerAde came flooding out. Actually, that felt better.

They had the doctor come over to check my blood pressure and pulse: 118 over 78 and 68 bpm. Plus, he asked me the 20 question game. He then told them to hook me up to an IV.

With one IV bag in me I was starting to feel better and I was asking to eat some watermelon. When the 2nd IV bag finished, the lights were totally on. I was stiff and tired but I felt a lot better and was starting to get hungry. This is a good sign for me because I know that I am returning to normal.

Within 20 minutes of getting those two IV bags, I was headed off to change clothes. They left in the IV just in case I needed a 3rd bag and told me to come back to have it removed. Another 30 minutes went by and I was feeling a lot better so I went over to have the IV removed. Actually, they didn't even recognize me. This is how different that I looked.

They removed the IV and I had my photo taken with them. Their names were Vickie and Betty and they were so nice in making sure that I got the care that I needed. I cannot say how thankful I am for their help. In my opinion they were both "Saints".

On a side note, now that I understand how much an IV helps, I need to learn how to hook myself up after a race. I could save myself a couple of miserable hours after each marathon.

To end this post, I wanted to let you know something. Through my entire 46 years of life this is the first time that I have ever experienced anything like what happened that day. I never thought when the morning started that I would be flat on my back with an IV in my arm by the afternoon. Most people don't know this but this is the first time that I have ever had an IV. Honestly, there were way too many first for me on this one day.


Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner



No comments: