Looking Both Ways before Crossing Over

As I get ready to close out the old year of '08 and start the new year of '09, there is one last thing on my running list to do.

Before closing out the old log book, I like to look back at the things that worked and didn't work during my '08 training. Also I want to look at the good and bad races as well. Taking this information in a whole listic perspective gives me an opportunity to over look any one bad period of training or racing and see the grand view. Too often when we look at a situation, we take a myopic view of the situation which leads us down the road an inaccurate conclusion. So by considering the entire year we have a view to analyze our running and draw better/ more appropriate conclusions.



What I will do is jot down a list of the things that worked and didn't work. From this list, I will start to plan my goals for '09. Once, I have my goals in place, I will start think about my training and how I need to structure it to meet those goals.



Coming out of '08 I know I want to run more marathons and see if I can lower my times. Working from the baseline assumption, I think I can run 2 and possibly 3 marathons in '09.



One thing that I learned in '08 is that I don't want two really long races too near each other. Because I ran that 50k then 4 weeks later I tried to run a marathon, it didn't give me time to recover. So with this mind, maybe I should look to run a mid spring marathon and early summer marathon. Then, take short break in June and July and maybe running a few shorter races. Later in either mid or late August begin training for a fall marathon.

Now taking this a step further, I need some target races to run. The Uwharrie Trail is in early Feb and I already signed up, but I will not look at this as much as a race but as a good strength building workout. My spring marathon will most likely be the Shamrock marathon in March. After Shamrock, I am eye balling a couple of late May/early June Marathons. I don't have anything definite at this point. If I run something, it will have to be a race in the northern states. Marathoning in the south during summer is just unrealistic to do. Because it is too hot. Then, later I would like to go back to OBX in the fall, but that is still an open question mark. I hope to have it locked down by mid Aug.


Around the marathons, I will probably in a few RFYL races. I know the 15k in Oct. will be on list but how many others, we will have to see.

Comments

Popular Posts