Racing across the Years


Humm, I wonder. Was I racing across the years? Or, was I racing across the decades? The more that I think about it the more I think both are true.

About a month ago, I got an email from the WWC race guys that they were putting on a trail race that would run across the years. They had me with the title. Having never raced across the years, I definitely wanted to do it.

Fast forward to Tuesday night, I drove out to the WWC around 10 PM. Grabbed my bib, and chatted with a couple of people for a few minutes. Then, I headed off to warm up over the race course that we would be running.

Ugh, I had barely entered the North Main trail when I went slip sliding. This was going to be fun and possibly a little dangerous.

The race course was 90% of the North Main trail with the WWC Christmas lights trail added at the end to make it a legit 5k course. The start/finish would be from their Pavilion. The 5k runners would do 1 lap while the 10k runners would do two laps. We would be repeating the 5k course twice.

I made sure my head lamps were set and set at max brightness before the start. I thought I was ready but looking around I wasn’t so sure. Most of the runners surrounding were not old enough to shave yet.

With 5 seconds to 11:45, Jenn gave us a starting count down. Everyone one of those guys blasted off from the starting line. Could I be wrong? Hopefully, no of them thought that this was a 100 yard sprint.

The line of runners stretched out in front of me as we made our way around the channel and started in to the North Main Trail.

The distance between us began to shrink as those road shoes were not the best suited for these trail conditions. Now, catching them was one thing. Passing them was entirely another manner. There was a line of runners in front of me, and I was doing my best to leap frog through them but it was taking time. The North Main trail is fairly narrow so it became a “pardon me” or “excuse me” to get by. Then, I have to run hard until caught the next guy and then try to time it for a spot that I knew that I could pass.

We were running along the river section of the trail when I heard the sound of many fireworks in the distance. I could only assume that the New Year had arrived.

We followed the North Main trail to the boat dock and then proceed up the service road. Oh, is it steep. Then, right on the trail which leads back to the Pavilion. Where we then turned right on to the Christmas lights trail to run it in reverse.

This section had a lot of zigging and zagging. I had a real hard time maintaining any type of pace. Any attempt to accelerate was met with a hard right or left turn and at one point, a bridge crossing. I didn’t even know that there was a bridge in this section of woods.

Finally, I popped out of the woods to finish my first lap. They had a volunteer directing the 10k runners out for the 2nd lap and the 5k runners toward the finish.

I had lost sight of Troy. He had pulled away from me while we were running through the lights section.

Enter North Main for the 2nd time, I treaded gently. Having serval hundred runners gone through, I expected the trail to be pretty cut up, and it was.

However, I didn’t expect to almost immediately upon entering the trail to start coming up upon other runners. In some respects, I was running in a long conga line of runners. Given the conditions, I guess they increase the lag time between the waves. Now, I doing my best to work through this line and stay up right on a muddy trail.
   
There were plenty of opportunities to the fall, but I never went down. I was pretty well covered in mud.

I climbed the service road and headed in to the Christmas Lights section. This time through I took the opportunity to the take in the sight of a few more of the lights.

I crossed the finish line in 52 minutes and 26 seconds. I think that I finished 5th overall but I am not sure. The results for the 10k had me 26 overall which I didn’t understand. That is until I looked at some of the other times for the 10k race. Apparently, someone set a new world 10k record with a 23 minute time.

I don’t know how many 10k runners turned left instead of going on to finish a 2nd lap. Seems to have been quite a few. Still, the 10k race awards came out fairly quickly. I mean it was around 1:30 in the morning. I can only assume that the WWC guys based the 10k awards on the times for those that crossed the 2nd timing mat twice. They must have eliminated the others.

Based on the huge turnout, I suspect that the WWC guys will be working next New Year’s Eve. I fully expect this race to become a tradition here in Charlotte.

Lastly, over the last couple of days, I was been pondering how to record this race. Should I record it as a ’19 race since I started the race ’19 or should I record it as a ’20 race since I officially finished the race in ’20.  Both sound right to me. I finally settled for recording it as ’19 race. Logically, I paid for the race and started the race in ’19. Does when I finished have any real bearing on it. I guess not.

Happy New Year!!!!

Kickin’ up trail dust

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts