Cross over lanes

Our NC DOT has been changing some of our area intersections to have these new cross over lanes. I been through a few of them: Cornelius and over near Concord Mills Mall. I hadn't give them much thought until I was setting in the latest one on highway 16 and Mt Holly-Huntersville Rd.

While I was setting in the line traffic, I begin to wonder if this was really a better way of traffic control.

From my perspective, I come up to a red light, and I have to wait to turn left. With these new cross over lanes, I have to essentially set through the same red light twice. First, I wait for the light to change so I can drove over into the cross over lane. Then, I have to wait on the same light cycle and allow me to turn left.. If this had been a normal left turn lane, I would have already been headed down road 5 minutes earlier.

So I asked myself where the value here? Does this help me get through the intersection faster? No, at least not from my perspective. I set through the same light twice. In fact, I would say it is slower. I would further add that these new intersections are adding to global warm because my car is setting there pumping out carbon dioxide while I am waiting.

But I am open minded kind of guy. If someone could explain how these cross lanes are better, I would gladly be up to debate their value.

Setting in cross over lane.

The Cool Down Runner 

Comments

Popular Posts