Hot Chocolate 8K Recap


A few years ago, I ran the Hot Chocolate 15K here in Charlotte. I have been wanting to run this race again but life has not lined up enough that I could make it happen. Unfortunately, life was not lining up again this year.

However, Peter shared a post on Facebook about the Hot Chocolate 8k in Albemarle, NC that he was organizing. Hot Chocolate, a race, and an open weekend, I signed right up.

Darkness still covered Albemarle as I eased my way in to town. I located a good spot to park and headed for packet pick up.

At 8 AM under an ever so slight drizzle, we started the race. We all caught a break with the 55 degree temperatures. I sported my WWC singlet.

Several guys went out in front of me. The downhill start makes everyone look awesome. As the course began to encounter some hills, I was able to make up some ground. By the mile, I caught the 3rd place runner. By two miles, I had moved in to 2nd place. The leader was still moving away. All I could see was the flashing the lead police vehicle vanishing in to the distance.

The 2nd and 3rd miles are stair case of climbing. Then, the course levels out as it heads back toward downtown Albemarle.

My labored breathing told me this was about my upper limit. I had a good gap on 3rd place so I could focus on running to the finish.

Peter marked the course well, and there were plenty of volunteers at the intersections to keep us moving the right direction.

When I turned on First Street, I glanced at my Garmin, and this gave me a rough idea of my finish time.

The course makes a big loop, and once it returns to the Y, it makes a loop around the block.

I finished in 31:24 and 2nd place overall. This was my first true road race since last February. Getting a chance to hit the road again was nice. I may jump in a few more road races this year.

Yes, after the race, I got to sip some hot chocolate. The taste was awesome. Also I want to give a shout out to Peter and crew for putting on their usual top notch race. If the opportunity presents its self, I recommend getting over to Albemarle for a race. I have never been disappointed.  

Kickin’ up trail dust,

The Cool Down Runner



Comments

Popular Posts