“We Believe” 5k


My apologies. Despite my best efforts to slow down and enjoy the holiday season as much as possible, the weeks between Thanksgiving and News Year simply just fly by. If only I could get my hands on a Time-Turn like Hermione used to take multiple classes in the Harry Potter novels.

Yet, I did make a little time to get in to a trial race at the WWC center – the “We Believe” 5k. This is a race that I have done the last three years, and I very much enjoy doing it.

Like in previous years, the race has been plagued by the rain. Rain poured leading up to race day, and race day had a steady drizzle wetting things down. The course was going to be muddy. I wondered if the high school runners sporting their new Foot Locker bags realized this. I suspect not so much. The shoes that they were wearing were geared toward the roads rather than a slick and muddy trail.

I sported my Hoka Evos. They were good at grabbing the muddy soil and holding on to it.

There was a mass start, and a group of us entered the woods. The wet, muddy trails sorted us out pretty quickly. I settled in to 3rd overall and watched as the guys 10 to 30 years my junior stretch out the distance between us.

That’s okay. I expected as much. Experience and good trail shoes can only make up for so much.

I finished 3rd overall in 20:24 which was 30+ seconds faster than last year. I scored a top age group award. Actually, I just crossed in to a new age category. It felt good to once again be the young guy again.

Wrapping up this post, I want to give a shout out to the WWC crew. They did their usual awesome job organizing the race. I was to give them extra props for their homemade chocolate chip cookies. No, these were not your normal store bought, hard as a brick, chip your tooth cookies. They practically melted in your mouth. I had 4 of them. Yes, I love a good chocolate chip cookie.

Here, here, let’s hope you are having a wonderful holiday season. Sleep well, eat hardy, and enjoy your time with family and friends. Come January 1st, training and racing will once again become a priority in our lives.

Kickin’ up trail dust,

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts