I-77 Toll Lanes


When they first started talking about the I-77 expansion and adding toll lanes. I was not overly surprised. More lanes cost money, and the money has to come from somewhere. However, I was really surprised when they started adding an on/off ramp which intersected with many of my weekly runs. All during the construction of it, I thought of just about all of the worst case scenarios for my run.

Now, that the exit is open, my concerns have lessened quite a bit. Only those actually using the toll lanes are allowed to use the exit which at this point seems to be darn few people.

Then, something that I hadn’t given much thought about happen last night. I was heading north on 77. They were working on the non-toll lanes so everyone was diverted to the toll lanes. Instead of getting off at my normal Harris Blvd exit, I got off the toll lane Lake View exit. That’s when the question crossed my mind. Why did they really build this exit? Where is the value in it?

Likely most people are going to Sunset Road or Harris Blvd. Getting off the Lake View exit does not provide any quicker access, and from my perspective, it is slower getting to either of these two locations. Now, I imagine if someone perhaps lives in this area, getting off at this exit might save them a few extra minutes but darn, it will take years if not decades to recoup the cost of creating this exit off the backs of these locals. That is if they ever recoup the cost of it.

Sometimes, I just wonder at the thought process some people use to justify their choices.

Sorry about getting off topic to day but sometimes things just need to be shared.

Kickin’ up the trail dust,

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts