33 years of running


This past October, I marked another milestone in my running career. I completed my 33rd straight year of running without missing day.

Most of the year, I do not think much about my running streak. My thoughts are in the present. What is my next training run, or what is my next race, but each October, somewhere in the back of my mind, the reminder that I have completed yet another year without missing day slowly rises to the surface.

These days, my running streak is often the first question that most people ask me. Am I still running every day? This is often followed by how do I do it?

Honestly, I do not have any special secret to running every day. I simply accept the fact that I need to run every day so I plan my schedule to get it done. Some days, it means waking up early while the rest of the world slumbers ways. I push out the door before most people get their first cup of coffee. By the time that they throw back the covers, I have finished 10 miles, had a shower, and am ready to charge in to my day. If there is any secret here, it is that one needs to be committed and be willing to do whatever it takes to get things done. Then it becomes not “if” I will run, but “when” will I run. Anyone can do this. They just need to be committed and willing. Like I said, there is special secret here.

Kickin’ up trail dust

The Cool Down Runner






Comments

Popular Posts