WWC River Jam – September Edition


Thursday night, I ran the last of the 5 race WWC River Jam series. And, boy was it hot. My car showed a temperature of 97 degrees. Breathing in only added to the feeling of shearing heat. Sweat ran down my arms walking over to pick up my race bib. To my knowledge, this was probably the hottest race that I have run in the series ever.

My legs were still feeling the effects of walking the many Disney miles so I was probably a little slower than usual going out the first couple of miles. Yet, I was still passing other runners who seemed to be welting in the heat.

Usually, once under the foliage of the trees the temperature drops. None of this was happening today. Heat engulfed us, and worse, there was no breeze. Sweat ran off my skin faster than I was running. Hoping for any reprieve at all, I would take water at the aid stations to dump over my head. For a few moments, I admit I felt somewhat better.

Avery was catching me as we finished off the Lake Loop, and he passed me while crossing the parking. In the last few races of the series, Avery has been putting on a strong finish. Usually, he catches me in the middle of the final mile.

I crossed my finish line in 47:58, finished 4th overall, and first in the 50+ age group. I stopped and put my hands on my knees to just steady myself. My legs felt totally wasted.

Looking back, I was really happy with my effort. I battled the heat, humidity, and leg weariness, and I was still faster than in August during my big training block.

For those of us that completed all 5 races, the WWC gave each of us this nice scarf. I really appreciate the gesture. Although, it is a bit funny to be handed this nice heavy winter scarf on day when the temperature is well over 90 degrees. It will be a while before I use it. 

Another unexpected yet awesome award, I finished 3rd in the 10k series standing. For this, they gave the top 3 men and women branded WWC backpacks. Definitely, this turned to be a good evening to visit the WWC.

I highly recommend their series so put it in your calendar for next year. Races kick off the 2nd Thursday each month May through September. After the race, stick around to have some food and listen to some awesome music. 

Kickin’ up the trail dust,

The Cool Down Runner  
  


Comments

Popular Posts