When the fatigue catches up to me

I had just finished running 50 miles this past Sunday, and after a few minutes of talking the others around the finish line, I slowly made my way back to my car.

At that moment, I didn't feel too bad.

Then, I set down, and I took a deep breathe.

Suddenly, like an ocean wave breaking through a retaining wall, a wave of fatigue sweep over me. I felt tired all over.

I knew that I was tired running but I didn't really feel it. I was so focused on the race that the feeling of fatigue stayed at a distance.

Looking down at my legs now, a realization set in on me. I am really, really, really tired.

Then, even more daunting thought entered my mind. If I felt this tired after running 50 miles, what would 100 miles be like.

For the next 8 weeks, I can only imagine what this feeling might be. Then, I will know for sure. The butterflies are already churning in my stomach. I still am wondering what I signed myself up for.

Kickin' up trail dust,

The Cool Down Runner




Comments

Popular Posts