52 Mile effort


Labor Day last year, I went for a 45 mile run. This Labor Day, I had even bigger goals in mind – 52 miles.

I hit the trails at 7 AM. The temperature were awesome, and I was rolling along. I wanted this run to be similar to how I thought that I would run my 100 miler later this year.

By 10 AM, the temperature pushed upwards of 90 degrees. Even in the shade, I was hot and drinking at every opportunity.

One realization that I have come to understand from this experience. Tailwind works wonders to keep me going through most of the day. However, after drinking it hour after hour, I find that I just want plain old water taste wonderful as it is. Also I found that I don’t like crossing Gatorade with Tailwind. By this, I mean; I don’t like going back and forth between the two. I get this awful acidic test in my mouth. Nothing but water seems to wash it away.

Between the heat and no air stirring, the feeling of being inside of an oven comes to mind. So much so, I had a steady stream sweat dripping from my hat. I struggled to eat my crackers and figs that I was carrying. They didn’t taste good. However, I did go through 3 packs of sports beans. Any that counter acted the taste of the Tailwind really seemed to help

As the afternoon pushed toward the evening I started to feel better and run stronger.

The one thing that tasted great throughout the day was the watermelon that I had stuff in my bag before leaving. I had planned it as an afterwards snack but I opened up the pack early in the run. It was a little piece of heaven each time that I passed by my car.

I pulled up to my car 12 hours and 30 minutes after starting. My Garmin was literally on its last power bar.  I looked down at my legs, and they were a dark brown with trail dust. I don’t know that I ever want to do a solo run like this again. It just a long time to be out on the trail by one’s self. Not the type training I am fond of doing.

Tail Dust Stories

The Cool Down Runner



Comments

Popular Posts