Trails of Crowders Mt. State Prk


I thought that I would get in some hill work during my weekly long run this weekend, and there is no place better than Crowders Mt. for it to happen. Usually, when I visit Crowders I am running from Visitor Center to Visitor Center, but today, I decided on spending some time running the trails at Crowders.

First, I took the tour out to The Pinnacle and back. I made a detour through the camp grounds area. I even took a little side detail along a fire road for I don't know how far.

Next up were the trails on the eastern side of the park. This is an area where I had never run but I was interesting in exploring. I followed the Crowders Trail all the way up to the overlook. There is some serious up hill running here, and the finish has way too many steps to the very tip top. I found myself in a conga line of people making this climb. Most appeared to be exhausted from just getting to the stairs, and several were either standing or setting as they rested during the climb. At the top, I saw several with hammocks setup at the top taking in the view. I must say; it would be an awesome way to spend the day.

Personally, the view was awesome as I could still see some fog settled in the valleys. However, I didn't rest for long. The journey down was about to begin. I thought about taking the steps, but opted for the gravel road all the way down to the Linwood access point. They down side wasn't bad, but the trip up left me gasping for air and my legs feeling used up.

Just before the top, I picked up the Rocktop Trail. Although, considering this a trail is in only the loosest of terms. There was a great deal of walking and climbing all through this section. They even had signs stating that injuries or even death are possible here. A few hikers seemed to be up to the challenge, however.

I thought about swinging back to pick up the Backside trail, but then I would have to do the Crowders Trail again. The miles were starting to mount up. Plus, I needed to replenish my water supply and give my legs a bit of rest.

I finished out my run by taking in the Fern and Lake Trails. After so much climbing, I was ready for a flatter terrain.

Next time, I want to hit up the Linwood access and get in a good climb to the top. One where I don't have so many miles in my legs before I start.

The Cool Down Runner

.


Comments

Popular Posts