Being a Fearless Descender


While running with Martin and Eric, I could not help be but be in awe with the way they attacked the downhills. Any downhill that we encountered, Eric was quickly out of sight. Martin wasn't far behind.

As for me, I slowly picked my way through the rocks and roots. Some of our discussions that day were about how to be a better downhill runner, and both Martin and Eric recommended lots of practice.

Yet, I cannot help but think there is more to it.

I freely admit that my downhill skills is the weakest part of my game. More than a few runners have opened a gap on me by charging down a hill. Yet, it isn't like I have not worked on it. I have, and on course where I am familiar, I probably am faster.

But take me to an unknown trail, I am slow.

Martin and Eric, I believe, both are right. Practicing downhill running should make you better at navigating whatever obstacles that are in your path.

However, I believe both exhibit a certain level of fearlessness which allows them to take greater risk. A fearlessness they use to fly downhill. It is a level desire that I am not sure that I possess. Will I ever be able to match them heads up, likely not, but I am okay with it. I like running every day. This can only be achieved by knowing when to risk it and when to choose the safer path.

So if you are not a super strong downhill runner that's okay. Few courses are all downhill. Make the most of the course where you are strongest.

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts