Mediocre

Not knowing what to say doesn’t happen to me very often, but on Saturday while cheering for the Racefest runners, it happened.

I was standing next to the greenway entrance taking pictures. When this woman, who is very obviously looking for someone, turns toward me and ask if these are the “Mediocre” runners.

My eyes probably grew large and mouth dropped open but no words came out. There was no answer that was adequate for the way she asked her question.

Mediocre isn’t a term that I relate to runners.

Her husband realizing the awkward moment that was developing between us quickly rephrase her question.

“Yes”, I responded. "The majority of the runners have passed".

He took, maybe I am assuming too much here, his wife by the arm, and they left for the finish line area.

It did remind of something that my daughter said to me of a while back. She always “thinks about what she is going to say before she says it”. We might all be a little better off if we followed her advice.

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts