Recovery Time


After a big race, we all deserve a few easy days. After all, we have worked hard. We went out and preformed at a high level. Our bodies took a beating. Recovery is part of the process.

For me, I like to take a few easy days running after my marathons. Usually about Thursday, I add back the core work and stretching. If there is no lingering soreness, Gtting back into the Y for a easy weight circuit and stair master workout are just the ticket for Friday.  

So this is how my week went so far.  Boy, did it feel pretty good.

Everyone is different. Their recovery may be a day or two like me or they may need a few weeks. The reasons why vary just as much as the recovery periods.

My general rule is to let any soreness fade way. Then, slowly get back to training. My legs will be dead for a week or two which is to be expected. They will need the long recovery period. But core, stretching, upper body lifting, non-impact activites help keep the aerobic engine well tuned.

Find your own recovery time, but remember to err on the side of caution. Coming back too soon can lead to injury and further downtime. Something that no runner wants.

 

The Cool Down Runner  

Comments

Popular Posts