Sunday Morning Long Run

Sunday morning I met up for a long run with several members of the Charlotte Running Club. There isn't anything unusual about this for me, but the higher than normal temperature definitely made for a different run. Yesterday marked one of the first Sundays where our run began and the heat/humidity made me feel like midsummer were already here.

We covered the first 10 miles in 75 minutes. By the time that I reached 18 miles I was not exactly tired, but water deprived. My clothes were totally soaked. If someone were looking at me, they would have thought I had been fire hosed down.

Luckily I had packed plenty of water in my car and began pouring it down my throat as I tried to cool off after my run.

I know "the feelings of exhaustion" will pass once my body adjusts to the hot days but getting there is not easy. All anyone can do is be patient, slow down, and drink lots of water.

Roughly, it takes around 14 days varying person to person for the heat acclimation.

If the weatherman is right, my heat tolerance is going to get plenty of opportunities for adjustment this week. Nothing but 90 degree days are in the forecast.

Regardless of the time that you run, don't forget to hydrate.


 

Thoughts from the "Hot" Cool Down Runner


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts