Yesterday's Run and Ride

Okay, it was about 15 degrees when I went for a run on the trails at 7 am. Which I have to say was not too bad. The wind wasn't blowing and being a runner I wore the appropriate gear .

The problems that I encountered were with some fallen trees. I guess the snow and ice took it toll. Several trees had fallen across the trail so I was climbing through, over, or going around the depending on what looked like the best path.

The creek crossing was another story. There are 3 big rocks that aid runners in crossing the stream, but with all of the rain and snow, these rocks were under water. Jumping over really isn't an option for me. I don't have any of Carl Lewis' leaping ability.

So I figured I would hit the middle rock and hope I didn't get too wet.

Things went fairly smoothly. The toe of my shoe got soaked and then quickly froze. This was the first loop. On the 2nd loop, I wasn't as lucky. More of my foot got wet and froze. Running got a little tougher as I finished the last couple of miles with one heavy frozen shoe.

That was in the morning.

The temps never did get above freezing at least as far as I could tell.

About 5:15 I headed over the Huntersville business park for a ride. Now, this was cold. I had to stop and change gloves after just a few miles. I had bought these new gloves at TrySports and I think they will work well when the temps are in the 40 and above. But freezing and below, they just don't keep your hands warm.

I also bought some booties to go over my bike shoes. Now, I have to say they kept my feet warm and actually made me look pretty cool when I am riding. I had seen some of the professional riders using them so it prompted me to try them.

I want to give some props to Sugoi for their stuff. I am now using their tops, shorts, gloves, socks, and booties. So far so good, I am very happy with their gear.

Comments

Popular Posts