Wednesday night Long Runs

I have switched up my schedule and have been doing my long runs during the middle of the week. This means I am either getting up early to run or running after work.

Some times, it feels like a struggle no matter which way that I do it.

Last night, I ran on the Mallard Creek greenway. Basically, I did the entire greenway plus some of the neighborhoods to cover the 16 miles.

For some reason, I don’t feel that I am striding normally on my right foot. But then, maybe I am super sensitive to it. I seem to notice every little ache and pain during the run. Not to mention, my foot falls appear to be louder with the right foot. But like I said – I am super sensitive to every little thing.

My run really wasn’t that fast – about 7:50 miles. However, I really felt drained afterwards. I suspect my running base has dropped off from my marathon base in the fall. I should have probably expected this to happen. And, it will take a while to build it back.

So my goal for the next three weeks is to continue with the 16 milers on Wednesday. I have no plans to run them really hard. Rather, I just want to get the distance in and spend the time on my feet.

Sometimes it is easy to forget – I didn’t loose the running base over night and I cannot get it back overnight. It will happen but being patient is really hard.

Comments

Ben Hernandez said…
Since my ankle injury about 4 years ago and the struggle with IT band syndrome about 2 years ago, I am very sensitive to the way I run these days. I never have quite got my stride back since the ankle injury. My left foot strikes the ground differently, so throughout the run it seems like I'm always adjusting, always thinking about it. Then to top it off, as soon as there is even the slightest amount of discomfort in or near my knee, I immediately start praying,"Please, oh please don't let it be ITB..." Usually it's all in my head, but still...
You might try the trails. I found that my knees and feet feel much better running on the soft dirt than on the asphalt and concert.

Popular Posts