3 x 5 min with a 3 min recovery

With several races just around the corner, I have been hoping to get in some harder workouts.

Yesterday, I went out for my first real post ITB test. I could have chosen any number of workouts, but the one I selected was a 3 x 5 minutes with a 3 minute recovery.

I took my Garmin along to track my heart race and pace.

The first 5 minutes surge was tough. My legs were still the feeling the effects from the weekend rides. The 2nd 5 minute surge felt better and 3rd was about the same.

Looking at my watch, I was probably averaging about 6 minute pace over the entire 5 minutes. My workout was done on the roads and in the neighborhoods near my home so the terrain is anything but flat. I really wasn't worried about the terrain, however. I was looking for how the knee felt and how I felt during the run.

Overall I have to say that I felt pretty decent. I would have liked to run faster but hopefully, the speed will return in time.

The knee felt good. I didn't feel any pain and just to be cautious, I iced down my knee after the workout. Erring on the side of caution is always a good plan.

The next steps will be to introduce some short hills on Friday morning.

-btw did the time change throw anyone else for a loop. I cannot seem to get to sleep at night and struggle getting up in the morning.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hear you on the time change. It also came during a very hectic weekend which didn't help matters much. It was late on Saturday night before I got to bed anyways and just as I was drifting off it occured to me that it was actually an hour later because of the impending time change. Not a good thought to go to sleep on with a long run staring you in the face the next morning.

Nice work on the first quality session in while. Hopefully things continue to go well and the ITB monster stays away.

- Mark
Thanks, I am trying to get the rust shaken off. The Shamrock 4 miler is now less than two weeks away.

I am starting to realize, that I am in a lot worse shape conditioning wise than I thought.

Looks like it will be a rough start to my 2009 RFYL GP series this year.

Popular Posts