Rocky Branch 25k Trail Race - Belmont, NC

 A few years have passed since I last ran on this trail system, and boy, has it changed. There were portions of this course that I recalled, but by and large, the majority of it was new to me. 

Richard and his posse did a great job with this race. They organized 4 different events: 5k, 25k, 50k, and a 50k relay. 

I chose the 25k, since I needed a nice stressor as I prepare for my fall marathon. 

Promptly at 8 AM, we rolled off. Richard gave us some prerace instructions, but I guess that I over thought it. 

He told us about arrows at the turns, and using orange ribbons marking the trail on the way out and pink ribbons on the way back. 

So, when we made the turn at the far in the trail, I was expecting to switch to pink ribbons on the return. However, this wasn't quite how it was marked. It stayed orange for a portion of the back. I wasn't alone in my confusion. Several of us were trying to figure out our way back to the start. Eventually, we did. 

Richard did come out on the course, and he helped make sure turns were honored on the 2nd loop. Then, on the 3rd loop, we had yet another detour. Seems that a nest of hornets was on the trail. Apparently, I missed them on earlier laps. 

As the course is designed for mt. biker, there is one section with a bunch of rollers. My hip flexor hated them. I couldn't get into any flow as it just broke up my stride. 

Overall, and even with a few bumps in the road, this was good race to-do. 

Note, I ran 2:27:31 to finish 3rd overall. I was very happy with my effort. 


The Cool Down Runner





Comments

Popular Posts