WWC Tread Red, White, and Blue 5k Trail races

 The WWC's 4th of July trail race has become one of my favorite races or should I say 3 races, but I can only choose one to do. 

If you are not familiar with their race, when you sign up, you choose a color. Then, on race day, the color of your bib determines with of the 3 courses red, white, or blue races that you do. This was my 3rd year doing this race, and I have been "white" all 3 years. 

If I remember right, the first year, we did North Main, last year was Lake Loop aka Dog Leg now, and this year, we did South Main with Salom tossed in for good measure. In all honesty, there are only so many trail options that you can run from the Pavillion. 

So, when I drove into the parking lot, I am turning my head to see where the arrows are pointing. Note, the color of the arrows matches your bib. Thus, I would be following white arrows. I knew that we were running South Main. 

We started in waves and by color so with "white" up first, I went out with the first group. Lots of people much younger than me were lining up. 

Once we started, just about every one of them went sprinting out. At least they were sprinting for the first 50 yards or so because once we hit the single track, they were slowing down. I could see guys making some distance on us but all I could do is work my way by where possible. 

This isn't easy. 

I passed few dropping down by the river. I passed a few more along the river. I passed some over by weigh station. I passed some on Salalom. I passed one more over by unleash. I thought that might be it but when I hit the parking lot, I was looking ahead for the leader, and I didn't see him. Suddenly, I realized that he was on the side of the trail throwing up. But he also saw me and took off. I still gave chase but ended up about 4 or 5 seconds behind him. 

Given how things looked going out, I would not have thought a 2nd place finish was possible. Yet, someone how across the course, the heat, and the humidity - age and wisdom worked just a little bit of magic. 

I finished 2nd overall in 22:49. 

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts