We Believe 5k

 Saturday morning, I headed down the read to the WWC for their "We Believe" 5k. I was happy to see that the trails were dry and the temperature was mild. This was strange and unexpected because usually, the trails are wet and sloppy this time of year. 

I cruised over the course to warm up, and I was happy to see the addition of the Wedge Trail to the race course. Since WWC came back to doing races, they have been starting and finishing them at the Pavilion. However, their courses are not always adjusted accordingly. Some ended up being a little short. Adding in the Wedge made the "We Believe" course legit or at least a little over being legit. But I will take it. I would rather have it a little long than way too short. 

The course opened at 10 am, and I went off shortly there after. I dropped down in to the South Main trail and was quickly over taking runner/canine teams. Catching and passing other runners can be challenging at times, but catching with runners with dogs is a bit more challenging. Dogs are very unpredictable, and they can get very upset when attempting to pass them on a narrow trail. In previous years, these were two separate races but with the dispersed start, we were all sharing the trail.  

At one point, I came upon 2 young ladies sort of attempting to run side by side in a sweater built for 2. Yes, that's correct. They had 1 sweater with two neck holes. I can only image how difficult this was. I was glad that it wasn't me. 

After a while, I thought was clear of any further issues. Then, as I was running up to the finish, several runners were just starting, and one of them had dog. The dog got totally confused seeing a runner coming directly at them. He crossed in front of me and in another outgoing runner's path. He took a pretty go knee to the side by this other runner. I could see what was happing and came to a halt. Nothing that I could do but wait until the path ahead cleared. 2020 has been anything easy this year; this was just one more thing to take in stride. 

Hopefully, you are having a happy holiday season.  


The Cool Down Runner  

Comments

Popular Posts