800s for Speedwork

We had just crossed the finish line of our first of our six 800s this morning, and Caleb made a comment about this being a particular fast interval. Yeah, I had to agree, and I was very much afraid. I view each interval as a match in a book which I pull one out and strike it. The flame burns through during my interval. Today, I, however, feared when I struck this first match, I had accidently set the rest of the book on fire. How would this effect the rest of my 800s

This is what happens when I went from suddenly running 2:42 to 2:43 800s to running a 2:33 and just a scant second behind Caleb.

The glory was quickly over. I ran my second 800 in 2:38. The third in 2:40. I came back in the forth interval with a 2:39.

Then, Steve stepped up his game and kept us honest over the last two intervals.

My legs tied up on the second lap of the 5th 800. I faded to a 2:42.

With “Uno Mas” intervals left, I wanted it to be a good one.

Steve took the first 400 out hard. I was so close on his shoulder that we were actually touched arms going through the turns. We were literally side by side the entire lap. With 300 to go Caleb came powering up. Steve responded to Caleb move. I wanted to respond. With 200 to go Caleb moved to the front. I stayed right in Steve's footsteps.  If he would have slowed down, I would have collided with him. In the last 100 meters, I surged back to his shoulder but this was as far as I got. I finished the last interval in 2:38.

Last Oct before my Spinx Marathon, I ran this same workout in 2:40, 2:42, 2:41, 2:40, 2:40, and 2:40. Today, I was markedly faster with 2:33, 2:38, 2:40, 2:39, 2:42, and 2:38. I like consistency that showed up last fall, but I like seeing the speed that was present today. I have not run a 800s this fast in 6 or 7 years.

I certainly hope it bodes well for my marathon on Saturday.

We shall see.

Again, I want to send a huge thank you to Caleb and Steve to their assistance. They pushed me far more than I could ever have pushed myself solo.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner  

Comments

Popular Posts