Marathon Training 4 weeks out

Well, my last big training week is now in the books and what a week it was. Three stressor workouts played heavily in my training plan.

Tuesday, I was out running 5 x 1 mile. Just as I hoped each mile went a little better. I could feel the sluggishness in my legs but still felt like pushing.

Thursday evening, I headed out the Whitewater Center for their River Jam 6 mile trail race. First up, I ran 8 miles on the trails and the returned just in time to get my bib and get to the starting line. My goal was to run around 40 minutes. I ran 40:21 so mission accomplished. Finishing 5 overall wasn’t bad either. I have never fancied myself a great trail runner. In fact, I don’t really think of myself as a trail runner at all. But there are days when getting away from the asphalt and concrete as most welcome.

Now, I am on to Sunday morning and my long run.

Months had passed since Megan and I had last run together. We were joined by a relatively newbie to Charlotte – Emily. Having a new runner in the mix is a good thing. They always have so many good stories to tell and nothing passes the time on a long run like a good story.

Back to my long run, I started off with an 8 mile run before sun started to rise. Then, I met Megan and Emily. We did probably another 16 together before Emily headed back. Megan and I finished out her 20 and my 28.

Every time that I put this 28 miler on my schedule I have to remind myself why I do it.

Running a marathon is not easy under any conditions. Running 28 miles with the temperature climbing from the 70s into the 80s makes it even more difficult.

But, once I complete it, I know that I am ready to run a marathon. The question is no longer the distance but how fast.

In three weeks, I will know the answer.

 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

 

Comments

Popular Posts