A much needed vacation

After the Ultimate Runner, I really needed some much needed downtime. Easy running was just what the doctor ordered.

I had spent pretty much every week aside from my post marathon and half marathon weeks training pretty hard over the first six months of this year. Then, in April I started my first round of real hard speed sessions which lasted through the Ultimate Runner competition on Saturday a week ago.

The next day I started my vacation. I went for an easy 8 miles on Sunday, 4 miles on Monday morning. Then, Tuesday through yesterday, the days passed with me barely running - just 2 miles per day.

My legs really felt trashed on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday, they still felt tired but more from the ton of walking that I was doing rather than running. Thursday through Saturday, my legs finally started to have a little more "pep" in them.

This week will be a return of  more normal schedule of running for me. Honestly, I am looking forward to it.

Taking those super easy and short days helped my body bounce back, but mentally, I can feel the itch to return for some longer harder runs.

Downtime is never easy for me. I like to be training hard all of the time, but sometimes, I have to get it through my thick skull that the easy days are just as important as the hard days.


Time to get back to work.


Sharing one thought at time,
The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts