Car Crash

Not very often do I venture far from the topic of running on my blog but when I do, the event is usually significant. Personally, sharing about a car crash, in my opinion, qualifies as a significant event. Please skip over if you don't want to know more. LOL.

Last night around 8:30 PM, I had just finished up our CRC Board Meeting. Leaving the Y, I usually have two options for getting back to I-77. I can take Moorehead Street or South Blvd to I-277 to I-77.

Last night, I choose the South Blvd option. In hind sight this was a really bad idea.

I headed out of the backside of the Y and waited until the cars coming down South Blvd to clear so I could safely turn right on to South Blvd.

I entered South Blvd and proceed toward the uptown so I could pick up I-277 north toward I-77. There is maybe ¼ mile between where I entered south blvd and where I need to turn left to enter I-277.

I put on my signal to move across to the inside lane. As I am merging across the lanes, I see a large pickup truck making a U-turn on the near side of the bridge. He is turning from my lane to head back south on South Blvd. He is clear of my lane and the traffic lights green in my direction so I am headed through intersection and probably going maybe 35 mph. It's late and I am no hurry to rush home.

I am just about even with the truck when all of sudden this white car pulls right out in front of me. I have no time to do anything. Bang. We hit and the next thing I know, I smell something burning. My hands and nose are hurting. And, both feet are on the brake. Both air bags deploy and I am setting there dazed more than anything. I see the other car has continued with its U-turn and pulled off to the side.

Still feeling stunned, the burning smell is overwhelming; I fumble with the seat belt to get it undone and push the door open to exit the car. For all that I know my car maybe on fire. As I get out, I think I am still trying to make sense of what just happened.

All I really know is that my hands are hurting, my nose is hurting and my ears are ringing like I am standing right next to Big Ben. In fact, my ears are still ringing this morning.

The cops, fire department, and ambulance all arrive quickly. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries to the people in her car because I hit them broad side when they pulled across my lane.

The wreckers come to tow our cars and I get a ride home.

Once home, I took some ibuprofen and wrapped my hands with some ice.

That burning smell is hard to get out of my head. I think it was nearly 4:30 in the morning before I could drift off to sleep.

Awake or sleeping, I don't know if I will ever forget the image of the car mere feet in front of me and that awful burning smell.

But I most thankful for the fact that no one was seriously hurt and that I was wearing my seat belt.

One never knows when trouble comes one's way so always be prepared.


 

-btw – the woman admitted it was her fault for pulling out in front.


 

Sharing one thought at time,

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts