S2F - Charlotte 10 Miler

 I think that this is the first time that I have ever seen this. As I walked to the starting line before the race, I saw a line of runners extending back through the starting line and into the corral. Puzzled, I was like this is strange. I never seen runners' line up quite like this. Then, a moment of clarity dawn on me as I started to understand. This line was winding it ways around from the porta potties. Both races got delayed 27 minutes so runners could finish up their business. I don't think any of us liked the delay. We understood it but just didn't like it. Getting ready to run only to stand around for another 30 to 40 minutes means the body cools down and is less ready to run. 

So, after the delay, we were finally off and running. This year, S2F had a new location so the entrance into and off the greenway was different. There were some tight corners and hair pin turns just getting to the greenway. I got shoved on my shoulder trying to make one of those hair pin turns. 

Once on the greenway, we strung out pretty well. There were a number of pace groups, and those runners spread out across the entire path. This made things a bit rough getting by them. 

My race was pretty uneventful. I passed a couple of guys, and a couple of guys passed me. I was shooting for 65-minute time, but luck and the winds were with me. I finished in 63:32 and 18th overall. This placed me 2nd in my age. Overall, this race was one of the fastest in my recollection. 

I liked much of their changes. Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier. The finish is a bit rough. It is a tight finish up a sidewalk followed by a hard lefthand turn to the finish line 10 yards away. I guess there is no easy way to get on and off the greenway. 

All in all, a very good race for me. 

Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts