Frigid 10k @ WWC

 This past Saturday morning, a multitude of runners took part in the WWC Frigid races. I, myself, took part in the 10k race. However, I did not partake in the dip in the pool. I can still remember hitting the water from a few years ago. Boy, was it cold. No interest in repeating that experience this year. 

As for my race, the weather in the upper 30s with sunny skies. Best of the all the trails had dried out from the all the recent rain. 

We started the pavilion and finished down by the deep-water pool. In between, we ran the North Main and South Main trails with the Wedge Trail thrown in just to make things interesting.  The 5k and 10k race were separated so as to not overload those wanting to go for a chilly swim. 

I was in 5th place as we round the channel and dropped in to the trail. The guys in front of me were stringing out. I passed one guy down by the river. The next two runners, I would chase a while longer. I caught another once we got out along the river on South Main, and the other runner as we were coming off Wedge. 

I thought I was in a good spot to carry this to the finish. My splits were getting faster. What I didn't count upon is that the two guys behind having even faster splits. 

One guy passed me as we were making our way by the new dog park, and the second guy passed my coming of the woods into the parking lot. I tried to stay with them, but I just couldn't leg it out with those much younger legs. 

I finished fourth in 44:32. I won my age group. My award was a WWC waist belt. This apparently is a new item that they are now using for awards.

Now, I am looking forward to the Charlotte 10 miler. I am hoping to at least get close to last years' time. 

Every day's run is a joy. 

The Cool Down Runner


Comments

Popular Posts